Home .........Hire Me .........101 Tips

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

How to Recognize Moneybookers phishing emails?


Photo credit Toasty



I had received a mail today from moneybookers. It informs that I have recived money from somebody.

I was very happy to get money (who is not?)

On a second thought, I wanted to remmeber who is this person who has sent money. I dont rememebr any money pending from such an email. I did a quick mail search and this email id was not there in my contact list. I became sure it is a phishing mail.

Then I put my cursor to the line in the mail where it says to get your money click here. I saw a different url there not of moneybookers.

I went to moneybookers site and opened my account but saw no pending money there.

Then I wanted to find an eamail id where I can report such fishing mails. That is what I regularly do with paypal phishing mails. it is spoof@paypal.com and paypal immidiately responds. But with moneybooker I did not find any.

Then I did a google search with the following keywords: moneybookers, phishing complain email. After visiting few pages I found an email id security@moneybookers.com and forwarded the mail to them. Let me see how soon I get a reply from Moneybookers.


DO as per the steps above what I have done and then take care of the followings.

Here are my suggestions of what to do in case you get an unexcpected email offering money. It is collected from Internet. I hope it will benefit all.



Phishing email go around attempting to get user's Moneybookers account information.

If you get such email do not open the links and delete the email immediately.


How to tell if an e-mail message is fraudulent:

Here are a few phrases to look for if you think an e-mail message is a phishing scam.

"Verify your account."
Businesses should not ask you to send passwords, login names, Social Security numbers, or other personal information through e-mail.

"If you don't respond within 48 hours, your account will be closed."
These messages convey a sense of urgency so that you'll respond immediately without thinking. Phishing e-mail might even claim that your response is required because your account might have been compromised.

"Dear Valued Customer."
Phishing e-mail messages are usually sent out in bulk and often do not contain your first or last name.

"Click the link below to gain access to your account."
HTML-formatted messages can contain links or forms that you can fill out just as you'd fill out a form on a Web site.
The links that you are urged to click may contain all or part of a real company's name and are usually "masked," meaning that the link you see does not take you to that address but somewhere different, usually a phony Web site.

*This photo is taken from Flickr creative license. It belongs to Toasty who was a victim of fishing. Visit his photo site here and read his interesting story.

If you have similar experience share with me in comments.
=Ostom

0 comments: